London would overwhelmingly vote Trump out of the White House if given a vote with 81% backing Biden – YouGov poll

Following one of the most extraordinary US Presidential Election campaigns in history, YouGov research has revealed that if those in London were given a vote in next week’s US Election Joe Biden would win by a landslide over Donald Trump.

Excluding those who said they didn’t know, refused to answer or said they’d vote for someone else, 81% of those in the region would vote for Joe Biden and just 19% for Donald Trump.

The YouGov survey, which was commissioned by Betfair and involved polling 1,725 UK adults, including 184 in London, also showed of those that would vote Biden, the top reasons were that they are concerned his opponent is dangerous (75%), simply don’t like his opponent (72%), and they trust his stance on Coronavirus (24%).

While 78% of those surveyed in the region believe Trump is not fit to be US President it’s not a ringing endorsement for Biden either, with just 41% claiming he is fit to be the next leader of the free world.

When asked what the most important qualities are in the US president, honesty (64%), empathy with ordinary people (59%) and the ability to deliver on promises (58%) came out on top, but it appears that Trump falls short of the traits required for Londoners, with those researched claiming he’s arrogant (74%), dangerous (72%) and aggressive (41%).

It seems views on Biden aren’t as strong, as when asked for three traits locals think he possesses, 28% claimed they didn’t know.

Sam Rosbottom, Betfair Spokesperson said: “With the US Election just seven days away, speculation on how the election will go is intensifying, with polls seeming to suggest a Biden victory is on the cards.

“With over £190m bet on the outcome of the election on Betfair Exchange, Biden’s odds of 1/2 suggest he has a 67% chance of coming out on top after the election on November 3rd,, with Trump’s odds of 2/1 suggesting his chances of victory are just 33%. That gives Biden over DOUBLE the implied probability of election than his rival.

“However, we are still seeing plenty of money for the POTUS and in fact more money has been bet on Trump in this race, with £94m compared to £88m on Joe Biden.

“It’s also worth remembering the U-turn the market saw on election night in 2016, where Hillary Clinton went in the big odds-on favourite. And we all know how that turned out.”

Other key points from the research showed that over half (51%) in the region think that personalities speak louder than policies when it comes to attracting votes in US Presidential elections.

And remember the rumours over Kanye West? When asked who would make a good or bad president nearly three quarters (74%) in London said he would make a bad one.

Michelle Obama on the other hand came out on top, with 66% claiming she would make a good US president.

Paul Krishnamurty, Professional Political Gambler and Analyst said: “While the people of Britain may have declared their desire for a clear-cut Biden victory, the US landscape is somewhat different. Trump’s ability to capture the public discourse makes this election a referendum on himself, and he will need to secure some of the important swing-states to have any chance of victory.

“States like Florida, Pennsylvania, and Arizona are crucial if Trump wants to retain the White House, and he needs each one to fall perfectly in his favour for the election to go his way. I predict that Arizona will swing blue in this election. Florida is a coin-flip, as the odds suggest, but one Trump needs to win- his path to the White House is hard to envision without the Sunshine State. Pennsylvania is perhaps the most interesting of all- it is almost impossible for Trump to win without it, and while Biden can just about manage to lose it, his path without it narrows considerably. Mid-term votes and registration trends, however, suggest the state will swing blue.”

Nationwide, the study revealed that we are a nation divided when it comes to who we’d rather align with internationally. When asked if they would prefer to be a part of the USA or the EU, a mere 7% claimed the USA, and 49% the EU. Over a third (36%) said they would rather be part of neither bloc.

The data also revealed that despite Trump supporting Brexit, only 38% of those that voted to leave the EU and expressed a preference would give him their vote, with a similar number (39%) of those who voted Conservative in the 2019 General Election saying they would vote Trump.

Biden support in the UK rises to 99% amongst those that voted Labour or Lib Dem in the 2019 General Election and expressed a preference, and 96% amongst those that voted remain in the EU Referendum.

It also seems Trump is more popular with men, with a quarter (24%) of those who gave a preference saying the POTUS would get their vote, compared to 14% of women.

%d bloggers like this: