How To Be Sustainable Over the 12 Days of Christmas
Christmas is a time of giving and sharing with those around us, but it can also be a time for caring for the environment by making some sustainability led decisions.
However, there are many eco-friendly gifts and tips that can help reduce your environmental impact at this time of year. Sustainability activators, Anthesis Group has recreated the 12 Days of Christmas for fellow eco-advocates:
- Stay away from plastic straws, use metal straws instead
Consider washable and reusable metal straws instead of plastic ones.
- Make the most of leftovers, keep them fresh with some colourful beeswax wraps
Food waste is one of the most significant environmental impacts during the festive season. Beeswax wraps are reusable, water-tight and lock in moisture – ideal for protecting and covering leftover food at Christmas.
- Reusable Cleansing Pads: Clean Face, Clean Environment
Reusable cotton rounds are not only are they better for the environment, but they also sometimes come with added skincare benefits such as exfoliation.
- Carry your vegetables in a produce net
When carrying your Christmas vegetables, use recyclable produce nets instead of supermarket-provided plastic bags. Better for the environment and your fruit and veg!
- Wrap your gifts in kraft paper
Wrap your presents in kraft wrapping paper to ensure that come Christmas Day, you or your loved ones can dispose of your wrapping paper sustainably.
- Shopping has just got greener and trendier with jute bags
Jute bags are reusable, strong and come in some great designs.
- Refillable soaps pumps for washing
Instead of buying the usual body washes and scents for Christmas, consider refillable alternatives to help reduce single-use containers on landfills.
- Holiday E-Cards vs Christmas Cards
Consider E-cards over sending traditional Christmas cards as they save on deforestation, carbon emissions and waste.
- Take a packed lunch in with a lunch box
To reduce food waste, consider a new year’s resolution of bringing in a packed lunch to work.
- Keep your beverages warm with thermal mugs
As we approach the winter season, thermal mugs will come in handy as they are refillable and keep those warm beverages from going cold.
- Bamboo cutlery sets are great for those who are always on the go
Bamboo cutlery cuts down on plastic pollution as disposable plastic knives and forks can damage our ecosystem and accumulate large amounts of waste.
- Light up the room with a LED star
Light up Christmas trees and home with energy efficient LED decorations.